Nianya's Search Engine

Custom Search

Photo of the Day

Photo of the Day
Anything is Possible if you Dare to Dream

February 20, 2009

My little Vampire. . .


Actually, to be totally truthful, Taz now reminds me of Mr. Jaws from Moonraker.

We went into surgery today with 4 stainless steel molars (from his first oral surgery only 1.5 years ago) and came out with all steel molars and a couple of canines.

This was Taz's 5th surgery and a very difficult one for me. We had to make a tough choice. If were weren't aggressive enough, we would have ended up back in the OR for more oral surgery in another year.

So we opted to do as much as possible. End result, Taz is virtually toofwess.

So far, he's taking it pretty well.

Our timeline via twitter in reverse order, It's more fun to read that way:

  • 7:30 pm: Exactly how much does the tooth fairy have to pay for 8 teeth during a titanic recession?

  • 5:00 pm: I managed to get my nap but woke up feeling like I was given anesthesia today; I've been fighting a nasty infection for two wks.

  • 2:30 pm: Trying to get Taz to lay down in his Spiderman tent for a couple of hours; SNK mom needs a nap.

  • 1 pm: Out of the mouth of an ASD babe--“I ust wan mi bwekfst”; his day can't start w/o that routine.

  • 12:30 pm: World's fastest recovery; they let us go 30 minutes after he came out of post-op; Taz hates IVs.

  • 11:00 am: Trying to read a book; can't concentrate too jittery.

  • 10:00 am: Not a faulty pager; surgeon had a question; couldn't he have asked before; raw nerves and Dh is acting like he had versed, not Taz.

  • 9:45 am:It was not fun watching them put Taz to sleep and now they're paging us. Just my luck we've got a faulty pager. GRRHH!

  • 9:15 am: I must have lost my mind sitting here in a CDC space suit, so I can walk Taz into the OR. Never did that at Children's.

  • 8:30 am: I feel like I'm in jail with the energizer bunny; at least Children's where we've gone before, had a kid's pre-op play area.

  • 8:00 am: The wai-a-ting is the hardest part. Where's my Ipod when I need it.

  • 7:30 am: Taz is such a riot; he's almost 7, but the size of 4-year-old and busy making friends in the waiting room.,

  • 7:00 am: At the hospital; Taz is wide awake and wired; no ADHD meds allowed this morning.

  • 5:30 am: Time to get Dh moving; have to leave for the hospital in 30 minutes.

If you've made it this far in reading the blog, you're probably wondering when I'm going to get to the punch line.

Well, I hate to disappoint you, but there really isn't one this time. I can only say that there our three things about today, which I will always remember:

In pre-op. Taz asked the nurse if she had any paper and crayons. It's sad to say that he's used to the comforts of the Children's hospital and they no longer accept oral surgery patients, who are not severely medically compromised. Since we're only moderately medically compromised we had to go to a regional hospital that we've never been to before.

That is one of the reasons, I was more antsy than usual. We know what to expect and like the routine at the Children's hospital. I think Taz was one of only two children in surgery this morning (the other one was a younger patient of our oral surgeon).

So I was amazed when the nurse said, no we don't have any paper and crayons, but I can give you a bear.

And, not just any bear, a handmade bear in Taz's favorite color, made with love by a local church. I have to say that is the sweetest gift we have received since Taz got a special Ty beenie baby stork for new born preemies when he was in the NICU. Also donated by a local charity.

The second thing I will remember was having to dress up like an astronaut in a CDC disposable surgical suit so that I could walk Taz into the OR and stay while they put him to sleep.

I don't do well in hospitals and this was not part of our OR routine. He always got liquid versed i.e. loopy juice 15 minutes before hand and was laughing and giggling when they wheeled him away.

I got queasy just thinking about going into the OR, but sucked it up and did my best. Luckily it was freezing in there so I didn't start to faint until after they walked me out.

Finally, I will never forgot what Taz said to me when we got home and he finally got to eat his breakfast at 2 pm. He wanted french fries and his GFCF bagel with jelly, which I gave to him, even though the bagels are hard as rocks. I wasn't about to argue with him, because he was still very grumpy from the anesthesia and his pain meds were wearing off.

And, as expected, Taz cried out when he tried to bite into the bagel after he finished his fries. But, then he looked at me and said the most amazing thing: "I'm going to save my bagel until my grown-up teeth come in. Okay, Mommie?"

"Okay Taz!'

Special Needs Children are amazingly resilient!

Nianya

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments